Table of Contents
A recent survey by Screen Education has revealed that generally, an employee waste, on average, up to two hours every day using their phones, going through non-work related digital content. To corroborate this fact, a study has shown that an average employee spends 8 hours on non-work related activities during work time in a week.
In addition to this, many businesses still use manual time management methods to improve efficiency and productivity, only to meet with disappointment and inaccurate results. Employee scheduling software has come to the rescue to cut down on such inaccurate happenstance. Employee scheduling software solutions help businesses improve productivity, efficiency, accountability, and overall business performance.
Many businesses find scheduling employees accurately based on staff availability and labor requirements overwhelming. It is challenging for both big and small businesses. And in today's remote work culture, it becomes even more so.
That's where employment scheduling software can play a huge role and make your life easier. Here are the top 10 software solutions that will help you manage your workforce and their schedules better.
10 Best employee scheduling software solutions in 2024
Here are the 10 best employee scheduling software solutions you must check in 2024.
monday.com Work OS is a cloud-based employee scheduling platform that lets you create diverse tools to manage work. It offers dashboards, automation, and integrations to build the ideal workflow you need in one intuitive workspace.
- Dashboards for effortless decision-making with real-time insights.
- Integrations to keep your business tools all in one place.
- Automation to save time and leave repetitive work behind.
- Gantt chart to visualize project milestones and dependencies.
- Kanban to prioritize tasks and balance demands as per capacity.
- Forms to collect and manage work requests in one place.
Why do we think monday.com is the best?
We think monday.com is the best option due to its following advantages:
- Its intuitive, spreadsheet-like interface
- Numerous easy-to-use integrations.
- A variety of ready-made templates.
- An intuitive user interface that's effortless to customize.
- A knowledge base and 24/7 live customer support.
- Recorded daily live webinars for learning and upskilling.
- A conversation panel adjacent to relevant tasks for discussions.
- monday.com's pricing is complex to understand.
- Limited actions between integrated apps.
- Customer service needs to improve.
Pricing structure of monday.com
The platform has three plans, and all are available with a free trial for 14 days.
- Basic — USD 24/month for 3 users, billed annually.
- Standard — USD 30/month billed annually.
- Pro — USD 57/month billed annually.
- Enterprise — This plan is available at custom pricing as per the client's needs.
- Relying on monday.com to streamline their operations, Flight Centre saves 517 hours per month.
- Nissan leverages the possibilities of monday.com for improved work-life and project tracking.
- monday.com work OS saves about $50,000 per month for Oscar.
Companies that use monday.com
- Zippo Manufacturing Company
G2 rating: 4.7/5 from 8,591 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.6/5 from 4,151 reviews
Paycor is a software solution for human resource management, offering payroll, benefits, and workforce management. With diverse tools for predictive analytics, benchmarking, and customizable reporting, Paycor is among the top employee scheduling software solutions in the market right now.
Features of the platform
- Efficient payroll management with automated calculations.
- Staff scheduling and time tracking for workforce optimization.
- Quick and effective expense management across multiple teams.
- Intelligent analytics and reporting for timely addressing staff issues.
- Manage and process employee benefits on the platform effortlessly.
- Surveys to collect employee feedback and ensure their satisfaction.
Why do we think Paycor is the best?
- We think Paycor is the best, as it allows for easy time tracking.
- It is a great package with diverse features and a friendly interface.
- It brings all HR-related functions under the same umbrella for ease of use.
- It simplifies time tracking for businesses.
- The interface is straightforward to use and intuitive.
- Diverse advanced analytics and reporting capabilities.
- It is an inclusive employee management tool with diverse tools.
- Customer service needs improvement.
- The platform slows down at times.
The pricing structure of Paycor
Paycor offers different plans for small businesses and mid-market companies. They have the following plans available for small businesses:
As they offer custom pricing, you may need to speak to their sales representative to get custom quotes.
- Credit Union uses Paycor's capabilities to test payroll changes using a test sandbox that eliminates guesswork.
- E&H Hardware used Paycor to reduce its employee turnover by more than 23 percent using Paycor's refined recruitment capabilities.
- Paycor helped Lunchtime Solutions work 100 percent remotely without any hiccups during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Companies that use Paycor
- Spring Arbor University
- Maverick Boys & Girls Club
- Synergy Services
- Midwest Security Services
G2 rating: 4/5 from 679 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.4/5 from 2,645 reviews
Known for its high accessibility and simplicity, OnTheClock is among the best employee scheduling software in the market. Easy to use and navigate, the software does not require much training to learn and use. While large businesses can use the app, it is suitable for small and mid-sized businesses that want to manage their employee schedules effectively.
Features of the platform
- Projects and tasks time tracking with billable time rate management.
- Mobile time tracking capabilities for operational efficiency assessment.
- Effective workflow, policy compliance, and access administration.
- API integration to work with other project management tools.
- Process automation capabilities for faster task management and reporting.
Why do we think OnTheClock is the best?
We think OnTheClock is among the best employee scheduling software as it offers value for the investment of its customers. In addition, it is also:
- Simple to learn and master with a short learning curve.
- It is not riddled with features that businesses may not use.
- It is sleek in its design and easy to navigate through.
- It is a great tool for both internal and offshore teams.
- Excellent report generation and tracking capabilities.
- Clear and easy-to-understand pricing structure.
- Accurate and automatic time calculations.
- Timely and very responsive customer service.
- Need more integrations for payroll software.
- GPS tracking needs to improve.
The pricing structure of OnTheClock
OnTheClock offers a one-month free trial. After the trial, the employee scheduling software has the following plans:
Free plan — Free for up to 2 employees.
- USD 3.5/month per employee for 3 – 10 employees.
- USD 3.45/month per employee for 11 – 25 employees.
- USD 3.4/month per employee for 26 – 50 employees.
- USD 3.35/month per employee for 51 – 100 employees.
- USD 3.3/month per employee for 100 – 200 employees.
- USD 3.25/month per employee for 201 – 300 employees.
- USD 3.2/month per employee for 300 - 400 employees.
Custom for businesses with more than 400 employees.
- The University of Georgia uses OnTheClock for accountability.
- OnTheClock has helped La-Z-Boy Home Furnishing and Decor simplify their time-tracking.
- Village Vision Care uses OnTheClock to improve its time-tracking flexibility.
Companies that use OnTheClock
- Carolina Glaucoma
- Packrat Junk Removal
- Wild Rank Tree Care
G2 rating: 4.6/5 from 51 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.7/5 from 536 reviews
An easy-to-use employee scheduling software solution, OpenSimSim is suitable for large and small businesses alike. It makes scheduling faster while letting your business stay labor-compliant and reduce the costs of labor. Many customers of the platform love the app's simplicity and easy communication capabilities.
Features of the platform
- Easy employee scheduling and quick employee replacement finding with a few clicks.
- Team messaging capabilities of the software make workplace communication easier.
- Time clock for quick employee time and attendance tracking, easy timesheet management, faster payroll running, etc.
- Easy optimization of labor operations with easy access to reports on punctuality, scheduled vs. actual hours, repeat offenders, etc.
- Various compliance tools ensure adequate meal and rest break planning, certification tracking, compliance warnings, etc.
Why do we think OpenSimSim is the best?
We think OpenSimSim is among the best employee scheduling apps for the following reasons:
- It makes scheduling the workforce possible in a few minutes.
- It is available to use on both Android and iOS devices for scheduling on the go.
- It notifies the employees of any changes in the schedule and offers shift reminders.
- OpenSimSim is extremely easy to use and navigate.
- It makes communication with employees quick and efficient.
- Numerous reminder features keep employees informed.
- The tool reduces shift confusion among employees.
- There is no support for uploading schedules to third-party calendars like Google Calendar.
- The tool glitches at times, leading to not flagging breaks accurately.
The pricing structure of OpenSimSim
OpenSimSim employee scheduling software offers monthly and annual plans, as given below:
- Basic plan — Free
- Starter — $12.99 /month for a year for 1 location
$15.99 /month for 1 location
- Premium — $33.99 /month for a year for 1 location
$39.99 /month for 1 location
- Enterprise — Custom pricing
Companies that use OpenSimSim
- Ballast Point Brewing Company
- Aliso Viejo Animal Hospital
- Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt
G2 rating: 4.6/5 from 15 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.5/5 from 557 reviews
Rotageek is among the top workforce management and scheduling apps in the market. It helps manage the workforce not only for improved productivity and efficiency but also for employee satisfaction and happiness. It is a cloud-based employee scheduling app that's accessible anywhere on any device.
Features of the platform
- Drag and drop options to build schedules and plan your employee work hours.
- Manage leave and absences quickly with real-time access to requests.
- Create timesheets with a few clicks confidently and avoid any disputes.
- Track the work time and schedule for analytics and reporting.
- Integrate the app into payroll, HRM, and WFH systems for better reporting.
Why do we think Rotageek is the best?
We think Rotageek is one of the best employee scheduling software solutions for the following reasons:
- The tool makes it easy to create, edit, and manage shifts.
- Rotageek supports quick and fast communications in the tool.
- It ensures thorough visibility among the team for better shift management.
- Instant notifications are great to keep everyone informed and notified.
- The tool lets you quickly notify the workers if any shift changes happen.
- The customer service of the business is outstanding.
- The software becomes sluggish and slow at times.
- The KPI dashboard needs to be improved.
The pricing structure of Rotageek
Rotageek offers custom pricing to all its customers. You can contact them directly for detailed pricing information and a custom quote per your needs.
- Lakeland uses Rotageek to manage over 800 employees from 65 locations quickly and efficiently.
- Lush has been able to improve their productivity by 16 percent with the help of Rotageek's employee scheduling app.
- William Hill uses Rotageek to schedule over 7000 employees across 1400 locations with zero compliance issues.
Companies that use Rotageek
- Merlin Entertainments
- Sephora Middle East
- The Perfume Shop
- Willowbrook Medical
G2 rating: 4.5/5 from 26 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.6/5 from 193 reviews
Hubstaff streamlines your employee scheduling, time-off requests, shift management, etc., to manage labor costs efficiently. Look at the upcoming schedules in the calendar view and manage the schedule effectively to avoid conflicts and productivity concerns. The app is perfect for businesses of all sizes and shapes to manage their staff effortlessly.
Features of the platform
- Time tracking capabilities to manage shifts and employee schedules.
- Geofenced time tracking to automate employee clocking in and out.
- Habit tracker app to learn the time spent on each habit and goal.
- Workforce analytics software and metrics for performance assessment.
- Accurately track overtime to avoid confusion or conflicts.
Why do we think Hubstaff is the best?
We think Hubstaff is an excellent employee scheduling software solution for the following reasons:
- The software is beneficial for businesses using remote teams.
- It is both accurate and easy to use to manage work hours.
- It focuses on helping businesses ensure employee productivity.
- Quickly track daily tasks and work hours.
- Efficient remote workforce management with ease.
- The tool also offers a variety of native integrations for added benefits.
- The productivity dashboard offers an inclusive view of staff performance.
- Customer service from Hubstaff needs improvement.
- The tool requires more payment integration options.
The pricing structure of Hubstaff
The Hubstaff employee scheduling software offers multiple plans, and the minimum number of users is 2. The options are available to pay monthly or annually. They also offer a 14-day free trial, and if you buy an annual plan, there are two months free.
Here are the plans available from Hubstaff:
- Starter — USD 7/month/user on monthly billing.
USD 4.99/month/user on annual billing.
- Grow — USD 9/month/user on monthly billing.
USD 7.50/month/user on annual billing.
- Team — USD 12/month/user on monthly billing.
USD 10/month/user on annual billing.
- Enterprise — The plan is customized to meet your needs.
- Anequim uses Hubstaff to improve their productivity by 5 percent by automating their PTO.
- LinkUp saves a lot of time and manages its team efficiently with Hubstaff.
- Hubstaff helped ENC Construction track their workers efficiently and improve the budgeting.
Companies that use Hubstaff
- Epic Coders
- Support Ninja
- OS Solutions
G2 rating: 4.3/5 from 429 reviews
Capterra rating: rating: 4.6/5 from 1,420 reviews
An excellent employee scheduling software built to cater to all the needs of small and mid-size businesses, ZoomShift is easy to use. The app's design and capabilities are perfect for managing hourly employees and remote workers with ease. ZoomShift also brings everything you need to manage your staff into one place, which makes your job easier and streamlined.
Features of the platform
- Offers daily, weekly, and monthly shift templates for easier employee scheduling.
- Easy clock-in and clock-out capabilities for employees via mobile app.
- Easy paid time-off approval and management when scheduling.
- Group and individual communication options to keep everyone informed.
- ZoomShift is available on mobile, which makes the platform convenient to use.
Why do we think ZoomShift is the best?
We think ZoomShift is one of the top employee scheduling software platforms for the following reasons:
- It has all the basic employee management functions that small businesses need to manage their staff efficiently.
- ZoomShift offers numerous templates businesses can use to schedule their staff quickly.
- It has an intuitive interface, which makes the app easy to use and learn.
- It is among the most affordable employee scheduling tools in the market.
- Users can generate reports for all scheduled hours for analytics.
- The learning curve of the app is short for admins and employees alike.
- It lets managers compare the scheduled hours of employees with actual hours.
- ZoomShift allows businesses to manage their staff schedules on the go with its app.
- The tool can get slower at times.
- Customer service needs improvement.
The pricing structure of ZoomShift
ZoomShift has a simple billing structure that is easy to understand. It offers a free trial of 14 days for all users. After the free trial, users can choose to pay monthly or annually for the service.
Their plans are given below:
- Starter — USD 2/month per active user in the annual plan.
USD 2.50/month per active user in the monthly plan.
- Premium — USD 4/month per active user in the annual plan.
USD 5/month per active user in the monthly plan.
- Enterprise — Custom pricing. You can speak to their representatives to get a custom plan as per your business's requirements.
- ZoomShift has simplified scheduling for Avant Bicycle & Café, not just for the business but also for the staff.
- Pier 290 uses ZoomShift to schedule staff much easier than before and to improve staff accountability considerably.
- ZoomShift has allowed Stone Creek Coffee to streamline its staff scheduling and save a lot of time from manual, paper-based scheduling.
Companies that use ZoomShift
- Evergreen State College
- West Seattle Cyclery
- The Paint Bar
- Cascade Raft and Kayak
- Uco Design
G2 rating: 4.8/5 from 16 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.5/5 from 95 reviews
Humanity is a workforce management software solution that enables its users to manage their staff's schedules and shifts. The platform is widely used by businesses from numerous industries, such as retail, hospitality, healthcare, etc., thanks to its simple design and ease of use. As the solution is a cloud-based app, it can be used anywhere as needed by the business.
Features of the platform
- Demand-driven scheduling options to optimally use the human resources of the business.
- Manage shifts and employee hours from the comfort of the user's palm thanks to the Humanity mobile apps.
- Auto-scheduling options to fill the shifts by assigning the right person to the right time slots.
- Instant shift updates and changes during emergencies to alleviate the influence of understaffing.
Why do we think Humanity is the best?
We find the app to be among the top employee scheduling software platforms in the market for the following reasons:
- Humanity lets its admins view all the employee schedule data in one place.
- It lets users create dynamic schedules based on skills, department, location, etc.
- Humanity is also highly flexible and scalable to meet the growing staffing needs of its users.
- Humanity is easy to learn and use, even for first-time users of employee scheduling software.
- It enables quick and efficient remote supervision for businesses that employ remote staff.
- Visual shift display and location-based color coding to understand shifts and locations easily.
- The app is also flexible to set schedules and change or swap them as required from time to time.
- The platform tends to be glitchy at times.
- The break features of the platform can be better.
The pricing structure of Humanity
Humanity offers three different plans for its users:
The pricing for these plans is unavailable on the official website. You need to contact the service team of Humanity to get the pricing details.
- Safeway uses Humanity to schedule and manage the staff's schedule across diverse locations.
- Humanity helps Winding Waters schedule their staff successfully to 5x their business.
- Dollywood leverages Humanity to manage over 2,500 employees around the world from 25 locations with ease.
Companies that use Humanity
- West Atlantic Group
- Watertown Ambulance
G2 rating: 4.3/5 from 950 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.3/5 from 291 reviews
9. QuickBooks Time (Formerly TSheets)
QuickBooks Time allows businesses to manage their employees' schedules and analyze performance. The software is suitable for different types of businesses looking for a reliable and accurate employee scheduling software solution. The platform is renowned for its ease of use and intuitive dashboard, with a short learning curve.
Features of the platform
- Manage and approve multiple timesheets with ease, regardless of the number of teams and locations you need to manage.
- Track, submit, and approve schedules no matter where you are with its mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
- Get customizable reports that allow you to drive insights for better employee planning, recruitment, demand forecasting, etc.
- Ensure better payroll and human resource management by integrating QuickBooks Time with your payroll and HRM tools.
- Leverage GPS and geofencing to remind your team members to clock in and out their time when they exit a job site.
Why do we think QuickBooks Time is the best?
We think QuickBooks Time is one of the top employee scheduling software solutions for the following reasons:
- The scheduling capabilities of the tool are quite extensive.
- It allows for smooth and quick integration with payroll software solutions.
- It also has straightforward pricing plans that are easy to understand.
- QuickBooks Time allows for quick and easy employee scheduling, no matter how big or small the team is.
- The software allows for quick review and management of completed timesheets thanks to its time entries feature.
- The tool has a simple dashboard. This makes using the tool very easy for managers and employees.
- QuickBooks Time enables managers and employees to track their time at work to avoid any confusion in the future.
- The time card is glitchy at times, and it may lead to inaccurate work hours.
- The pricing structure is not suitable for small businesses.
The pricing structure of QuickBooks Time
QuickBooks Time offers four different plans for businesses that want to use the service. The plans are given below.
- Simple Start — USD 30/month
- Essentials — USD 60/month
- Plus — USD 90/month
- Advanced — USD 200/month
- Mana, a non-profit, uses QuickBooks Time to manage their staff and keep their focus on the mission.
- QuickBooks Time helps Red Aspen, a cosmetic company, to manage its employee schedule for better productivity.
- Berger Steel leverages the potential of QuickBooks Time to schedule their employees and improve on-site accountability.
Companies that use QuickBooks Time
- Marathon Moving
- Millennial Accounting
- 3 Girls Catering
- Dr. QuickBooks
- Amaru Confections
G2 rating: 4.5/5 from 1,423 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.7 from 6,513 reviews
Another reliable and robust employee scheduling software solution, Workforce.com, helps businesses create schedules, track employee time, comply with labor laws, etc. Managers and employees favor the tool as it is easy to use and has an intuitive dashboard. The platform is available both as web and mobile apps, which enables users to access the solution on the go.
Features of the platform
- Quickly onboard employee records and manage them.
- It allows you to track the engagement and performance of employees.
- Get the data of all employees on a single platform.
- Efficient and accurate timesheet tracking and error-free payroll running.
Why do we think Workforce.com is the best?
We think Workforce.com is one of the top employee scheduling software platforms in the market for the following reasons:
- It focuses on a shift-based approach, which is suitable for most businesses.
- The platform helps users with labor forecasting and employee onboarding.
- It is an easy, all-in-one tool for scheduling, engaging, and paying employees.
- Workforce.com offers seamless integrations with HR and payroll solutions.
- Customer service is extremely responsive and supportive.
- The tool does not load properly at times.
- The design is clunky, with a lot of room for refinement.
The pricing structure of Workforce.com
Workforce.com is available in three plans for subscription. The plans are based on the core service requirement.
The pricing of these plans is not available on the site. You need to check with the platform's customer service team to get custom quotes for your business.
- Starbucks Australia used Workforce.com to automate its workforce management and improve employee visibility.
- Workforce.com helped United Cinemas improve employee engagement, labor law compliance, and better employee visibility.
- Myhealth Medical Center leverages the potential of Workforce.com to reduce labor costs and organize employee data between diverse locations.
Companies that use Workforce.com
- Patient First
- The Amity Collective
G2 rating: 4.3/5 from 70 reviews
Capterra rating: 4.8/5 from 4 reviews
How to choose the best employee scheduling software
Finding the right employee scheduling software is always a challenge. Choosing the wrong tool can waste time, effort, money, and many other challenges.
Here are a few factors to consider when looking to buy an employee scheduling software solution for the best results.
1. Your requirements
The tool you select must be able to satisfy your requirements. For this, you need to know what they are. Hence, sit down with your team to prioritize and list them.
And you must never compromise on these requirements when picking the tool.
You may already be using certain payroll or HRM software solutions. Therefore, you must ensure your chosen tool is compatible with your current infrastructure.
It is hard to replace the existing infrastructure for an employee scheduling tool.
Check if the tool can scale up and down based on your needs. Certain businesses see demand fluctuate based on the seasons.
In such cases, the employee scheduling software may need to adapt to growing or decreasing scheduling needs.
You can find diverse employee scheduling software solutions in diverse subscription plans and packages. The one you pick must ensure maximum value for your investments.
Hence, choose the one that fits your budgetary needs and goals.
5. App features
Buy an employee scheduling software system that offers the benefits and features you require. What's the point of investing a lot of money in a tool that does not offer the features you require?
Therefore, always consider a tool that offers the maximum features you want.
Finding a suitable employee scheduling software solution for a business is a challenge. You can find numerous such options in the market, which makes the job even more challenging. The best way to pick the right solution is to conduct extensive research to understand its strengths and limitations, customer reviews, and its suitability for your business.
Buying an employee scheduling software solution for your business is more than a monetary decision. It is one that will affect your business, its payroll, sales productivity, and even the morale of the employees.
Hence, make an informed, data-backed, and wise decision.